Cloud computing is one of the strongest ways a business can build its office technology capabilities, but too many leaders remain wary about using the service. That being said, there is one specific approach that's trumping the rest of the market for those willing to make the investment.

Cloud adoption surprisingly low
According to a recent survey by Newtek Business Services, it was found that only 40 percent of small business owners currently use cloud computing, with the remaining 60 percent of the market shying away from its use completely.

This information is especially eye-opening when examining the advantages that the cloud can bring to a business. There are the simple improvements, like more open and available storage of data and access to emails, which can help businesses adopt the technology. More in-depth ones exist as well, for instance using customer relationship management software to better connect with and reach clients, therefore improving business practices.

For those adopting, hybrid is king
Infoworld recently reported that the hybrid cloud is the main choice for companies adopting such practices. While many businesses still use the public and private clouds in separate contexts, the hybrid is growing quickly, making self-served IT abilities only more possible in the near future thanks to customized levels of production and service. About 58 percent of those using the cloud in their businesses have combined the public and private clouds, whether it means more open data collection or a tightened-up approach to production developments.

Of the cloud services currently on the market, Amazon appears to have been chosen by the most businesses because it provides a series of different public clouds, including a small-business-specific cloud. Other options on the market include OpenStack and VMware, while Google's latest cloud-based engines are also popular among many users.

Improves self-service potential
One of the best advantages of the cloud comes from what developers call "self-service IT," which includes automating developer operations and allowing IT workers to focus on keeping the network stable. This feature's adoption has risen by 8 percent in the last year, taken advantage of by more than 60 percent of the market as of early 2014.

IT and tech industry piece brought to you by Marlin Equipment Finance, leaders in information technology equipment financing. Marlin is a nationwide provider of equipment financing solutions supporting equipment suppliers and manufacturers in the security, food services, healthcare, information technology, office technology and telecommunications sectors.